Monday, March 9, 2009

Cyndi's Curried Coconut Chicken (or tofu)

I made this tonight for dinner and substituted tofu for the chicken. I cubed the tofu and then cooked the tofu in some canola oil to brown it up a little bit. From there, I followed the same directions in the recipe. You just have to stir a little more gently. I have come to really love the combination of coconut milk and curry. It was pretty easy to throw together, but it just needs to simmer for 30 minutes. Very good and my kids even liked it!
Cyndi's Curried Coconut Chicken
(or tofu)
"100 Meals for $5 or Less"
(I found it in the Deseret News)

Ingredients
1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups diced cooked chicken1
12-ounce can light coconut milk
1 14 1/2-ounce can stewed, diced tomatoes
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2-3 cups cooked brown or white rice

Directions
Heat oil and curry powder in a large skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes. Stir in onions and garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 7-10 minutes. Pour coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, salt and pepper into the pan, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, approximately 30 minutes. Serve over rice. Serves 4.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I am so glad you posted this today. I had all the ingredients on hand and so you saved me a trip to the store! Thanks Challey!!!
This is very tasty. I think if you added cashews and cauliflower it would be delicious too. Super easy to make too.

Challey said...

Tonight I made this without the tofu, and instead, added chickpeas and potatoes. It was very good. I added a little bit of extra curry powder. Yum.

Julie said...

Delish! My favorite recipe from this site. Super easy and my house smells deliciously like curry for days when I make it. :)