Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Balsamic Vinaigrette

I have been making my own salad dressing for a while now, but the other day, I was out of half of the herbs that I needed to make the german salad dressing, so I tried out a new recipe. It is now my favorite. So delicious:

Back-to-Basics Balsamic Vinaigrette
MAKES 2/3 CUP
From “Eat, Drink & Be Vegan”

¼ c. balsamic vinegar (see note*)
3 tbsp. pure maple syrup or agave nectar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
½ tsp. (rounded) sea salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 small clove garlic (optional)
3½4 tbsp. walnut oil (see note*) (I used olive oil)

With a hand blender or in a blender, combine all ingredients except oil
and puree. Continue blending while slowly adding oil until emulsified.
Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if desired.

Other flavorful vinegars can be substituted for the balsamic, including white balsamic, red wine, or sherry vinegar.
Instead of walnut oil, try olive oil or a combination of both, with a touch of wasted sesame oil.

I just realized that I never posted the recipe for the German Salad Dressing on this blog, so here it is:
German Salad Dressing
1 c. cider vinegar
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 T. onion salt
1 T. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. rosemary (crushed)
1/4 T. basil
1/2 tsp. dill
1/2 c. lemon juice
1/2 c. fresh orange juice
Blend in blender

You can blend it with mayo for a creamy salad dressing. I double the recipe and use half for a vinaigrette and the other half mixed with mayo. It's very good on just about anything.

I started experimenting with this because it has so much sugar in it, so I now make it by doubling all of the ingredients, except for the vinegar and sugar.  I only use half the amount of vinegar and then I replace the sugar with honey (about half or so, but I do it to taste).  It's really great on salads, but also on pasta.  This is now a staple in my home to replace ranch dressing.  My kids love it and call it ranch.

1 comment:

Chris W. said...

Sounds yummy! Can't wait to try it.