Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Good Cookbook & Avocado Lime Salsa



I recently checked this book out from my library. I was interested because of her healthy approach to foods that we usually crave. She also believes that we should buy food as close to their natural state as possible. We liked almost every recipe that we have tried so far. The book has a mix of meat and meatless recipes (both of which we have tried). She also has a show on The Food Network (we don't have that station though), so I was able to find the recipes online also. They had different names from the book though, so I put both names in the recipe. To find her recipes online, click here. Enjoy!



We made this salsa to top steak (except we had no steak so we ate tilapia instead) tacos (if you want the recipe for the steak tacos, click here). It was very good on chips but also the next day, I had it for lunch. I had a flour tortilla spread with hummus and then topped with the salsa. I also added some hot sauce. It sounds strange, but it was actually a very good combination.


Avocado Lime Salsa
(Cucumber Avacado Salsa From the book The Food You Crave by Ellie Kreiger)

1 large cucumber peeled, seeded and cut into chunks (about 2 cups)
2 avocados, cut into chunks
1/2 red onion, diced
2 limes, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
Salt
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
2 jalapeno chiles, chopped, plus more to taste
Place cucumber, avocado and onion in a large bowl and add lime juice and salt. Add cilantro and chiles and toss gently.
Yield: 2 cups (1 serving is 1/3 cup)

No comments: