Sunday, August 2, 2009

Quinoa and Salmon Stew with Tomatoes

I picked up a free magazine in the health food section at Harmon's called "Delicious Living" (I am so excited to find it online because there are so many recipes to try). I found the following recipe and loved it. I didn't add the fennel in, I haven't cooked with fresh fennel before and I wasn't sure about the flavor. I have become a huge fan of quinoa (just so you know, it's pronounced keen-wah, it took me forever to remember that). Costco now sells it too. I also absolutely love fresh dill (sooo yummy in the Zucchini & Potato Latkes) and it was very good in this recipe too.

Quinoa and Salmon Stew with Tomatoes

Serves 4 / Quinoa is a quick-cooking and versatile whole grain. This unusual approach pairs it with dill and salmon, with felicitous results.
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 cup finely chopped red onion
1 cup finely chopped fennel
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted, undrained
1 pound salmon fillets, skin removed, cut into 1-inch chunks
1/4 cup tightly packed chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice Zest of 1 small lemon
  1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy, 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Add water and salt and bring to a boil. Stir in quinoa. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
  2. Stir in tomatoes (with liquid). Return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and boil gently over medium heat until quinoa is translucent and tender, 6-8 minutes.
  3. Stir in salmon. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until salmon turns opaque and is cooked through, about 1 minute. (Check and cook an additional minute if needed.) Turn off heat. Stir in dill, lemon juice, and zest, plus remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add salt to taste, if needed.
PER SERVING: 471 cal, 41% fat cal, 21g fat, 5g sat fat, 57mg chol, 30g protein, 40g carb, 5g fiber, 598mg sodium

1 comment:

Mindi said...

OH happy day! I am going to make this sometime this week. I was hoping you would post, this was delicious!