Monday, June 23, 2008

Potato Salad (for Anne Marie)



Anne Marie requested that I post this recipe. It is based -- as best I remember -- on the way my mother made it. It was one of my father's favorites and he always wanted it "moist," or abundantly dressed.

I'm sorry but I don't measure anything, but will try to give some guidance. It is not a temperamental recipe and you can add more of any ingredient as you go until it is as you like it.

Ingredients:

• cooked potatoes peeled and diced small: one half medium potato per person. These were gold, but I have used many different kinds. (Boil about 25 minutes -- stick them with a knife to see if they are done all the way through. Kris likes them undercooked and crunchy, but I need them to be soft, but not crumbly.)

• chopped chives: lots. I like the oniony flavor without the bite.

• sweet pickle relish: Western Family brand is best. I use about the same amount of relish as chives

• hard-boiled eggs (cook eggs just below simmer for 20 min.): I like lots of eggs -- sort of like egg salad with some potatoes -- probably an equal number of eggs and potatoes

• Mayonnaise: I like Best Foods (Helmans).

• Miracle Whip: I know it is a "foodlike substance" and not real food, but it is really good in potato salad, turkey sandwiches, and sometimes in tuna. Sorry to the purists.

• salt and pepper

Directions

• Put the chives and relish in the bottom of a large bowl
• Build up the diced potatoes and chopped eggs in layers salting and peppering each layer.
• Add a couple of good dollops each of Mayo and Miracle Whip
• Fold it all together
• Taste it and add more of anything it needs. Make sure it is moist (almost goopy) with Mayo and Miracle Whip
• Refrigerate as long as possible so the flavors can bloom (3 hours to overnight)

3 comments:

AnneMarie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
This was just like G'ma Lucy's and since it was your mother who made it I think they might have made the same reciep:)

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite Taylor treats!

AnneMarie said...

I made this for the 4th. It makes me happy! Thanks!!