Thursday, October 16, 2008

Winter Vegetable Soup

This has been a fav since the first time I ate it.  I sometimes add other veggies if I have them or eliminate some if I don't.  It is forgiving and one that can be played around with.

2 Leeks; cleaned and chopped
2 lg Onions; chopped
6 ea Carrots; chopped
1 bunch Watercress; chopped
1/2 lb Butter, unsalted
4 lg Tomato; blanched, chopped
2 large potatoes peeled and chopped
1/2 c Mushrooms; sliced
1/2 c Cream, heavy
Salt; to taste
Pepper, black; to taste
Pepper, white; to taste

In a large saucepan, combine the butter, leeks, carrots, onions, potato,
and spices. Cover with water and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
When vegetables are tender, place 3/4 of the contents of the saucepan
into a blender and puree until creamy (or use an immersion blender, a kitchen must have to puree). Pour contents back into the
saucepan.
Add cream, chopped tomatoes, mushrooms. Season to taste
with salt, black pepper and white pepper.  Simmer about 5 more minutes.  Add watercress just before serving.
Serve with french crusty bread and enjoy!

1 comment:

Jennette said...

I was going to write you asking for this soup as I just bought some watercress. It always makes me think of when we tried to make this in that cooking class in PHS, but I think that we bought cilantro instead of watercress. Silly girls were we. I'm excited to remedy this mistake!