Monday, January 26, 2009

Black Beans and Orzo

I stole this recipe several years ago from our friends, the Marosticas, and it has become a staple at our house ever since. Besides being so delish, it's primary benefit is that is uses stuff that you already have on hand in the pantry, so it's a great fix for the "what can I make for dinner in a pinch" quandry. And, it's the ultimate in, "it's so easy...and the kids just love it." Actually, I love it too. I've yet to do it starting with dried black beans, but I'm sure that it would be even better. Until I can get my act together, we've been using canned beans.

Black Beans and Orzo

olive oil
1 med onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1/2 cup salsa (the Pace variety...not a fresh pico de gallo kind)
1 14oz can diced tomatoes
1 14oz can black beans, rinsed and drained.
1/2 lb orzo pasta
grated mozzerella cheese

Heat a Tb or so of olive oil in a saute pan over med-high heat. Cook onions for 4-5 mins, or until onions are soft. Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute more. Add cumin seed, chili powder and oregano and stir for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Then add salsa, tomatoes, and black beans. I usually add about a 1/8th cup of water (that I've deglazed the tomato can with) as well. Bring to a boil and then turn to low and cover to simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes and then remove lid to simmer for another 10 or so minutes (or until your pasta is ready). Watch the liquid level in the pan as you may need to partially cover the pan if it looks like it's getting too dry.

In the meantime, start the water for your orzo pasta and cook the noodles according to the package directions. Drain.

Serve immediately with sauce over the pasta and top each portion with grated mozzerella cheese (trust me--it sounds strange, I know).

Like most sauces, the longer you can simmer something, the better, but often we serve this as soon as the pasta is ready and it's still tasty enough.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Easy, quick, and yummy. Happy to have another quick meal for the repetoire.