Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pad Thai Noodles


I made this for dinner last night and it was delicious.  It serves about 8.

13 oz. bag rice stick noodles
6 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup minced cilantro
6 scallions chopped about 1 inch lengths
3 Tbs fish sauce
2 Tbs tamarind sauce (or ketchup)
2 tsp sweetner like sugar, honey, or agave nectar
1 cup bean sprouts rinsed
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
2 Thai chilies chopped ( I used a much less spicy Anaheim and it worked fine)
1 pack of firm tofu diced into squares
4 beaten eggs cooked crepe-like (so you have a round egg pancake), rolled, then sliced thin into strips

1. Put noodles in a large bowl and cover with hot water, let soak until ready (about 15 mns), then drain (let them soak while you do the next couple of steps.  You don't want them to sit undrained or they will stick together and be gross).
2. In hot frying pan pour a neutral flavored oil (like corn or grapeseed, not olive oil) and fry up the garlic, tofu, scallions, and half of the bean sprouts for about 3-5 minutes.  Remove from pan wth slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Put noodles, eggs, fish sauce, tamarind, and sweetner in frying pan and mix and fry for about 1-2 minutes.  
4. Mix noodle mixture with tofu mixture, top with peanuts, chilies, cilantro, and remaining bean sprouts.  Serve with lime wedges.  (You could also garnish with fresh sliced cucumbers)
YUM!


5 comments:

Ellen said...

i've also added shredded carrots to this recipe (like in the picture). and for those who are not tofu fans, shrimp makes a great replacement! super good!

Challey said...

I had tofu for dinner last night too! You didn't mention if your kids liked it. I was super excited because my kids thought it was chicken. Your recipe sounds yummy too. I will have to try it.

Anna said...

The tofu went over just fine. My kids did like it. They didn't love it, but they only love pizza and ice cream so, it was okay.

Jennette said...

I love pad thai! This looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Challey said...

I had this for dinner tonight. Very good. Spencer gave it a 5 out of 5. I doubled the sauce (as Anna recommended), but for me, I like things a little saucier, so next time I will probably triple it. Thanks Anna!