Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Roasted Winter Vegetables


My Dad makes roasted veggies all the time.  I love them.  They are so incredibly flavorful and the texture is perfect.  Just chop some veggies, toss in a bowl and coat with olive oil and  sea salt (better flavor than table salt), roast in a 425 oven for about a half hour or until veggies are tender. 
Last night I made this and I discovered how AMAZING roasted cauliflour is.  It was so delicious.  I've only had it boiled, which is good (especially with cheese sauce), but this was ten times better.  It was sweet and nutty and mmmmm.  The brussel sprouts were very good too.  Lucy kept begging for more!?!?!  
So here are my recommendations on what is good and what isn't.

Highly recommended:
Beets (golden and/or red), brussel sprouts, sweet potato, onion, mushroom, cauliflour, squash, parsnips, carrotts, leeks.

Not recommended:
Turnips (I gagged and spit mine out)

Roast them altogether or just pick one if you like. I also chopped up some parsley and fresh thyme and we sprinkled them on at the table along with a little fresh squeezed lemon.  Delicious.  Try it as a main dish with a few noodles or rice for a side dish.   

4 comments:

Jennette said...

Oh, yum! I love roasted cauliflower too. Good to know about the turnips though. I hadn't tried that one.

Ellen said...

I love to roast a mix of carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, and red onions after coating with olive oil and then a generous dousing of parmesan cheese!

Ellen said...

oh, and squash. yum.

Anna said...

I froze the leftovers and figure that pureed it will make a nice winter soup.