Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tofu Lettuce Wraps


I was craving lettuce wraps yesterday and looked online and found several recipes for using tofu.  I made a version that sounded fabulous, but though they were good, they weren't wow.  So I need suggestions.  I think the sauce could have used some thickening and I think I should have first baked  or really fried the tofu to give it a bit of a denser texture and crispiness (is that how you do it????).  
Here was what I used, all diced up into little chunks or matchsticks:
Carrots
mushrooms
firm tofu (extra firm would probably be better)
plenty of garlic
shallots and onions (if I would have had more shallots I would have used just them)
scallions
water chestnuts
ginger (fresh)
bean sprouts
First I stir fried the garlic/onion/ginger, then added the tofu, then the veggies and sauce.

for the sauce:
4 TBS lime juice
4 TBS Thai fish sauce
4 TBS tamarin sauce
2 TBS vegetarian version of oyster sauce
2 TBS rice vinegar
1 TBS honey
dash of cayenne (It needed more kick and some cornstarch or something to thicken it)

Toppings:
chopped peanuts
fresh Thai Basil
Sweet Chili Sauce
 
So what do you think would make it more wow?  Any suggestions?

Update:  These were pretty wow reheated for lunch the next day.  Maybe just giving the tofu time to fully absorb the flavor of the sauce is all it takes.

No comments: