Tuesday, January 27, 2009

New Cookbook and Stir-Fried Tofu


For Christmas this year, my good friend Emily gave me a new cookbook:

I love it! I especially love it even more now that I don't have to borrow her copy anymore.

I have been trying new recipes all month (from this and other cookbooks). So far, we have liked every dinner from this book. It is a must have cookbook (thanks again Emily!).

I have always wanted to try tofu, but I just wasn't sure what to make and I really wanted my kids to like it. So, I tried stir fry recipe in the book. It was very good and my kids loved it (they also thought it was chicken, but I still consider it a win). I will definitely be trying more recipes with tofu now. Sorry I don't have any pictures of any of the dinners. I have been out of blogging mode lately and just too hungry and excited to try the food. The food is good, just trust me.

Stir-Fried Tofu & Vegetable Teriyaki

serves 4


2 T. canola oil

1 lb. extra firm tofu (cut into 1/2" thick pieces)

3 scallions, minced

2 c. small broccoli florets

1 c. thinly sliced carrots

1/2 c. fresh or frozen red bell pepper strips

1 garlic clove, minced

1/4 freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 orange)

1/4 c. tamari (soy sauce)

2 T. toasted sesame oil

1 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 T. light brown sugar

salt & freshly ground black pepper

Heat 1 T. of the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Remove the tofu from the skillet and set aside on a plate.

Heat the remaining 1 T. of oil in the same skillet over medium high heat. Add the scallions, broccoli, carrots, and bell pepper strips, and stir fry until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the tofu back into the skillet and set aside while you prepare the sauce.

In a small bowl, combine the garlic, orange juice, tamari, sesame oil, lemon juice, brown sugar, and salt & pepper to taste. Blend well. Reheat the skillet over medium high heat. Pour the sauce over the tofu and vegetables and cook, stirring gently, until the tofu and vegetables are hot and well coated with the sauce, about 5 minutes.

2 comments:

Jennette said...

Looks great! Thanks for the recommendation!

Anna said...

I'm so excited to try all of this!