Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Coconut Cashew Stew

I've been messing with it all winter, and I think I have the right combination down now. This stew makes a great main dish. Jamie and I make a pot and live off of it for about four days. It's perfect after riding or walking out in the cold. The apples are delightful (and good for your guts).

You'll need:

2 chicken breasts (cooked and chopped)
4 medium to large apples (I like Fujis)
4 stocks of celery
1 lb. carrots
1 medium to large onion
1 lemon
5 cups chicken broth
1 can coconut milk (ca. 14 oz.)
1 can diced tomatoes (ca. 14 oz.)
2/3 cup long grain rice
1/2 cup raisins
8 oz. cashews
5 tsp curry
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground black pepper (this ain't fresh, so you may want to pull back on the amount if you have fresh pepper)

Pour broth and coconut milk in a pretty darn big pot and start heating it on medium. Chop up carrots, apples, onion and celery and add to broth/milk. Juice the whole lemon into the pot. Dump the tomatoes with their juice into the pot. Add rice, raisins and all the spices too. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil while stirring.

Once it boils, reduce heat and let simmer covered for 20 minutes. Finally, add the chicken and the cashews, and its ready to serve (though it tastes better after sitting in the fridge for at least a day).

Makes 8-10 pretty big bowls.


Jamie and I just eat it on its own, but I've been wondering what could make good side dishes with this. If you have any good ideas, please leave them as comments for me! I'd also be interested in any variations anyone finds good (vegetarian, etc.) Thanks.

6 comments:

Anna said...

Yum. this sounds really good. I am going to put it on next weeks menu, and I will see how it is sans chicken. Maybe I will sub beans for chicken or something. I'll report back.

Jennette said...

Looks fab, especially for the winter....I can't wait to try it.

Ellen said...

Mmm. Looks good. I would eat it with a big hunk of bread.

ScrapBox Organization & Storage said...

Have you ever tried it with golden raisins? It strikes me that they would be yummy in it instead of the regular raisins.

will said...

I've thought about golden raisins every time I make it. I always end up going old school for the color contrast.

ScrapBox Organization & Storage said...

I love the title of this blog, by the way. Great book.