Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Banana Wheat Bread

I found this recipe in the hopes of coming up with alternatives to processed breakfast cereal, and lo and behold my kids will actually eat it.  It isn't light and fluffy, but it tastes good.
In a bowl or mixer combine the following ingredients:
2 1/2 Cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 Cups brown sugar
2/3 Cups plain yogurt (I didn't have any on hand and substituted Daisy brand sour cream...it only has one ingredient: milk, unlike most brands which have all kinds of crap in them)
2 eggs (I use vegetarian fed eggs where the chickens haven't been fed antibiotics)
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2-4 super ripe bananas

Mix until well blended.  Pour into 2 greased 8x4 loaf pan or 1 9x5 loaf pan.  Bake at 350 for 50-60 mns (8x4) or 60-80 mns (9x5).  Cool for 15 mns.
My 8x4 loaves were pretty short, so I would probably go for the 9x5 pan next time.  

1 comment:

David and Kris Taylor said...

Way to go Idaho! Throw away those crappy Malto Meal cereals! Feed those babies real food!

Buy some Germade, cook it up, sweeten it with honey instead of sugar and serve it with whole milk and a splash of cream. KILLER!

D.