Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tortilla Soup

This can be made with or without chicken (at our house we make it both ways ). If you do make it with chicken my great time saver is to buy a Costco roasted one, shred it and throw it in.
1 tsp minced garlic
1 small chopped red or white onion
1 small can diced green chilies
Brown the above ingredients in 3 Tbls olive oil until onions are transparent.
Add;
1 or 2 cans diced tomatoes (with juice)
12 oz black beans (soaked and drained)
2 cups corn
1/8 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
juice of 1/2 lime
12 oz garbanzo beans
1 1/2 cup cooked, seasoned chicken
2 cups chicken broth
Simmer 20 minutes
Garnish with chopped cilantro, avacados, cheese, tortilla chips

4 comments:

millie said...

Colton was just craving Tortilla Soup last night. I'll have to give this a whirl.

David and Kris Taylor said...

I have got to stop! My mouth is watering so heavily that I may drown!

D.

Anna said...

We had this for dinner and it was a huge hit. Everyone loved it. I especially loved it with avacodos and cilantro. Yum!!!

Jennette said...

I've made this several times now and it's always a hit! It's a great meal for serving a crowd since it's easy to prepare in advance and then just setting out the buffet for everyone to put on the toppings. THanks~!