Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Leek and Potato Soup with Veggies


3 leeks (white and green parts), halved, sliced,  and washed (I like to soak them in a water bath then rinse them in a colander)
5-7 potatoes (depending on size and how thick you want your soup.  The more potatoes the thicker it will be.) peeled and chopped.
1 cube butter
4-6 cups chicken or veggie broth (I like the Pacific brand free range organic chicken broth at Costco)
cream to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
(You can then add whatever other veggies you choose.  Last time I made it I added a couple of celery stalks, 1 zucchini squash, and a couple of carrotts, all of which I chopped up.  Be creative.)
Sautee the leeks in a large stock pot in a stick of butter for about 4-5 minutes or until leeks shrink and soften, stirring often.  Add stock and veggies and boil until potatoes are softened.
Then I use my hand held blender (a kitchen must if you eat a lot of soup or smoothies) to puree the soup.  If you don't have a handheld you can puree it in a blender.  Add cream to taste and freshly ground pepper to taste and serve with crusty bread.

No comments: