Friday, April 11, 2008

Roasted Beets


Our produce section has been selling the most scrumptious beets grown by Cal-Organics and I have been serving them up weekly.  They are delicious.  This is how I love them. I chop the beet greens off and rinse them.  Then I chop them up and stick them in a pot with a few Tablespoons of water.  Then I take the beet roots and peel them (I don't know if this is the proper way to prepare them, but that is what I do) and chop them into chunks.  I toss them with a bit of olive oil and a dash of salt and bake them in the oven for about an hour at 350.  Then about a minute or two before we are ready to eat I put a lid on the pot of beet greens and turn up the burner to high and let it go until steam comes out of the pot.  (Basically you just barely wilt them, don't overdo it or you may end up with a sort of slimy batch of beet greens).  Then I serve them up with a generous amount of freshly squeezed lemon juice.  Yum!

5 comments:

AnneMarie said...

I am impressed that your whole family eats beets. I think they taste like dirt. Maybe I haven't had them prepared the right way.

AnneMarie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David and Kris Taylor said...

They are UBER delicious; you must try them again. The beet greens are as good or better than the beets.

D.

AnneMarie said...

David,Do you make them the same way Anna does?

millie said...

Colton has taught me his technique. You wash the bees and cut off the greens.

Don't peel them. Then you coat the beets in Olive oil and dust with salt and pepper. Put a little bit of water in the pan (a 9"x9" or 9"x 13") and cover with tinfoil. The steam helps cook them more thoroughly and faster.

Bake at 350 degrees. Use the knife technique to test done-ness (if it is easy to stab in and out). Once they have cooled down enough to hold, use a paper towel and easily rub off the skin. It is very easy. There is potential to stain your hands, wear gloves if pink ain't your color.

You can coat them with a vinagrete. The are also delicious paired with walnuts, blue cheese, ricotta, and goat cheese.

Annemarie, I think you just might like them.